Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Yes, It Can Be Quiet Fishing In the City...

Headed out in the boat today with Randy for the first time in well over two months.  My back and shoulders have been pretty sore and I've had some recent minor shoulder procedures called "barbotage" which involves plunging a large needle in my shoulder like a jackhammer to break up the calcium deposits. Not condusive to fly fishing! Needless to say, it's been slightly depressing watching Randy go fishing for the past couple of months like crazy because he's had plenty of time off, and I've been stuck at home.  So getting out today was like a dream, and I didn't take it for granted one little bit!
We had the thermos of coffee, new lifejackets we got from the folks for Christmas, and we headed down to our local launch.  The Fraser looked pretty windy.  And cold.  I suggested going up to Haney area to a place that we could tuck in and be shielded from the wind a bit.  Randy agreed so away we went.  It turned out to be a good call.  We got there and it was calm.  Launched the boat and within a few minutes we were at the fishing hole.  I didn't bring a rod, but I did bring a book.  Not that I got much reading in.  I was too busy watching Randy cast and looking for fish and just taking in the scenery around me.  It was so peaceful.  We were in the middle of suburbia yet we couldn't hear anybody. Not a car, not a person, not a sound except the odd bird. That to me was priceless when you live in the city and come from a small town.
Randy tried a few flies, he had a couple of grabs, and a few twigs and leaves, but no fish today.  The tide may have been wrong, it was outgoing when we got there. Who knows with cutthroat.  One day they are there, the next gone, with the exception of residents.  We had fun anyways.  It felt great to be back out on the water again, fishing or not.  Can't wait to get the good camera mailed away for repairs this week so we can start working on our photography skills in the next while.  I'd like to take more nature shots being as I won't be fishing until late spring.  Cheers and tight lines ~ Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment